Craig A. Buchman, M.D.
Lindburg Professor and Head, Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
Dr. Buchman's clinical interests include otology, neurotology and skull base surgery. He is one of the most active cochlear implant surgeons in the country. His research interests are broad in the field of hearing loss and rehabilitation and his ongoing research programs are focused on the utility of auditory evoked cortical responses in the pediatric population, electrocochleography as an indicator of cochlear trauma, and the use of auditory brainstem implants in children with cochlear nerve disorders.
Patients Seen At:
Ear, Nose and Throat Center
Center for Advanced Medicine
4921 Parkview Place,
Suite A, Floor 11
St. Louis, MO 63110
Fax: (314) 747-5592
West County Office
1040 N. Mason Road,
Creve Couer, MO 63141
St. Louis Children's Hospital
1 Children's Place,
St. Louis, MO 63110
Fax: (314) 454-2174
School of Medicine
Department of Otolaryngology-
Head and Neck Surgery
660 S. Euclid Ave.-Campus Box 8115
St. Louis, MO 63110
- Undergraduate Degree: BS, Microbiology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA (1986)
- Medical Degree: University of Florida, Gainesville (1990)
- Residency: Otolaryngology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA (1996)
- Fellowship: Otology/Neurotology/Skull Base Surgery, House Ear Institute and Clinic, Los Angeles, CA (1997)
Licensure and Board Certification
- Otolaryngology -- Certified
- Neurotology -- Certified
- Best Doctors in America 2007-2014
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery's Foundation, Distinguished Service Award, Orlando, FL, Sept 21, 2014
- CORLAS (Collegium Oto-Rhino-Laryngologicum Amicitiae Sacrum)-Aug 26, 2014
- Castle Connolly Top Doctors-2013-15 database
- Presidential Citation (Thomas J. Balkany, MD), Triological Society, Southern Section Meeting, Bonita Springs, FL Jan 8-11, 2009
- Presidential Citation (Harold C. Pillsbury, MD), Triological Society, Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, May 1, 2008
- Buchman et al. Ear & Hearing 2006. Article Voted the “All-Around Favorites”. In The Best of Audiology Literature, Hearing Journal: June 2007 - Vol 60 - Issue 6 - p 18-19, 22
- Triological Society Harris P. Mosher Award for Best Clinical Thesis, “Vestibular Effects of Cochlear Implantation”, January 2004
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Department of Otolaryngology-HNS, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2003
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery's Foundation Honor Award, Orlando, FL, October, 2003
- Annual W. Jarrard Goodwin Otolaryngology Teaching Award, Department of Otolaryngology, University of Miami School of Medicine, June 16, 2001
- Adunka OF, Giardina CH, Formeister EJ, Choudhury B, Buchman CA, Fitzpatrick DC. Round window electrocochleography before and after cochlear implant electrode insertion. Laryngoscope (in press).
- Dillon M, Bucker M, Adunka M, King E, Adunka O, Buchman C, Pillsbury H. Impact of electric stimulation on residual hearing thresholds. JAAA 2015 (in press).
- Vila PM, Hullar TE, Buchman CA, Lieu JE. Is there a need for performance measures for cochlear implant centers? Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015 Mar 24.pii: 0194599815575006. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 25805636.
- Rose AS, Kimbell JS, Webster CE, Harrysson OL, Formeister EJ, Buchman CA. Multi- material 3D models for temporal bone surgical simulation. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2015 Jul;124(7):528-36. doi:10.1177/0003489415570937. Epub 2015 Feb 6. PubMed PMID: 25662026.
- Dillon MT, Adunka OF, Anderson ML, Adunka MC, King ER, Buchman CA, Pillsbury HC. Influence of age at revision cochlear implantation on speech perception outcomes. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015 Mar 1;141(3):219-24. doi:10.1001/jamaoto.2014.3418. PubMed PMID: 25611857.
- Dahl JP, Stadler ME, Huang BY, Miao D, Patel MR, Adunka OF, Buchman CA, Fine JP, Zdanski CJ. Connexin-Related (DFNB1) Hearing Loss: Is routine computed tomography imaging necessary? Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015 Jan 12. pii:0194599814566399. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 25583854.
- He S, Teagle HF, Ewend M, Henderson L, Buchman CA. The electrically evoked cortical auditory event-related potential in children with auditory brainstem implants. Ear Hear. 2015 May-Jun;36(3):377-9. PMCID: PMC4409925.
- He S, Grose JH, Teagle HF, Woodard J, Park LR, Hatch DR, Roush P, Buchman CA. Acoustically evoked auditory change complex in children with auditory neuropathy spectrum disorder: a potential objective tool for identifying cochlear implant candidates. Ear Hear. 2015 May-Jun;36(3):289-301. PMCID:PMC4409935.
- CE, Merwin WH 3rd, Klatt-Cromwell C, Hutson KA, Ewend MG, Adunka OF, Fitzpatrick DC, Buchman CA. Effect of cochlear nerve electrocautery on the adult cochlear nucleus. Otol Neurotol. 2015 Apr;36(4):670-7. PubMed PMID: 25280052.
- Formeister EJ, McClellan JH, Merwin WH 3rd, Iseli CE, Calloway NH, Teagle HF, Buchman CA, Adunka OF, Fitzpatrick DC. Intraoperative round window electrocochleography and speech perception outcomes in pediatric cochlear implant recipients. Ear Hear. 2015;36(2):249-60. PMID: 25259669.
- Joshi K, Huang B, Scanga L, Buchman C, Chera BS. Postoperative radiotherapy for diffuse pigmented villonodular synovitis of the temporomandibular joint. Am J Otolaryngol. 2015;36(1):106-13. PMID: 25459320.
- Hang AX, Roush PA, Teagle HF, Zdanski C, Pillsbury HC, Adunka OF, Buchman CA. Is "no response" on diagnostic auditory brainstem response testing an indication for cochlear implantation in children? Ear Hear. 2015;36(1):8-13. PMID: 25127326.
- Buchman CA, Dillon MT, King ER, Adunka MC, Adunka OF, Pillsbury HC. Influence of cochlear implant insertion depth on performance: A prospective randomized trial. Otol Neurotol. 2014;35(10):1773-9. PMID: 25122601.