Gershon J. Spector, MD, FACS
Professor, Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
WU Physicians Bio
Head and neck tumors and malignancies, squamous cell carcinoma. facial paralysis, facial nerve paralysis, skull base; thyroid, parathyroid parotid, laryngeal stenosis, throat cancer, throat surgery, laryngeal-tracheal reconstruction, conservation surgery of the larynx, melanoma, squamous cell carcinoma, laryngeal, preservation surgery.
Patients Seen At:
Washington University School of Medicine
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
660 S. Euclid, Campus Box 8115
St. Louis, MO 63110
- Medical Degree: University Of Maryland, 1964
- Fellowship: Histochmeistry, Pathology, Sinai Hosp., Johns Hopkins Univ School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, 1964
- Clerkship: Clinical Surgery Hadassah Hospital Hadassah Medical Center, Hebrew University, Jerusalem, 1963
- Residency: Surgery, Beth Israel Hospital Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, 1965
- Residency: Surgery, Sinai Hospital, Baltimore, MD, 1966
- Residency: Otolaryngology, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, 1969
- Residency: Otolaryngology, Peter Bent Brigham Hospital, Boston, MA, 1969
- Fellowship: Otolaryngology, Harvard School of Medicine, Boston, MA, 1969
- Fellowship: Microsurgery of the Temporal Bone, Los Angeles Foundation of Otology, Los Angeles, CA, 1973
Licensure and Board Certification
- Listed in Best Doctors in America, 2003 (Best Doctors, Inc)
- Who's Who in the 21st Century, 2001
- Best Doctors in America, 1982-present
- Who's Who in America, 1979-present
- Teacher of the Year, 1999, 1979
- Chulalongkorn University (Thailand), Medical Faculty Medal, 1994
- Research and Scientific Division, Magazine Publishing, First Prize, Laryngoscope, 1989
- Edmund Prince Fowler, 1974
- AAO Honor Award, 1979
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 1963
- Psi Chi, 1959
- Spector JG, Sessions DG, Lenox J, Simpson J: Management of T3N1 Glottic Carcinoma: Therapeutic Outcomes. Laryngoscope 116: 106-110, January, 2006.
- Sessions DG, Lenox J, Spector GJ: Supraglottic laryngeal cancer: Analysis of treatment results. Laryngoscope, 115: 1402-1410, 2005.
- Chao KSC, Ozyigit G, Blanco A, Thorsdat W, Deasey J, Haughey BHH, Spector JG, Sessions DG: Intensity-modulated radiation therapy for advanced oropharyngeal cancer: impact of tumor volume.) Int J Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys, V. 59:1, 43-50, May, 2004.
- Spector, GJ, Sessions DG, Lenox J, Newland D, Haughey BHH: Management of stage IV glottic carcinoma: therapeutic outcomes. Laryngoscope, 114:1438-1446, 2004.
- KSS, Ozyigit G, Blanco AI, Thorstad WL, Deasy JO, Haughey BH, Spector GJ, Sessions DG: Intensity-modulated radiation therapy for oropharyngeal carcinoma: Impact of tumor volume. Int. J. Rad.f Oncol. Biol. Phys. Vol. 59, No. 1 43-50, 2004.
- Blanco AI, Chao KSS, Ozyigit G, Adli M, Thorstad WL, Simpson JR, Spector GJ, Haughey B, Perez C: Carcinoma of paranasal sinuses: Long-term outcomes with radiotherapy. Int. J. Rad. Oncol. Biol. Phys., Vol. 59, No. 22, 51-58, 2004.
- Sessions DG, Lenox J, Spector JG: Chao KSC, Chaudry O, Analysis of treatment results for base of tongue cancer/ Laryngoscope 113:7, 1252-1261, 2003.
- Sessions DG, Lenox J, Spector GJ, Newland D, Simpson J, Haughey BHH, Chao KSC: Management of T3NoMo glottic carcinoma: Therapeutic Outcomes. Laryngoscope, 112:1281-1288, July, 2002.
- Sessions DG, Spector GJ, Lenox J, Haughey, B, Chao C, Marks J: Analysis of treatment results for oral tongue cancer. Laryngoscope, 11: 616-625, April, 2002.
- Chao KSC, Majhail N, Huang C, Simpson Jr, Perez CA, Haughey B, Spector G: Intensity-modulated radiation therapy reduces late salivary toxicity without compromising tumor control in patients with oropharyngeal carcinoma: A comparison with conventional techniques. Radiother Oncol 61:275-280, 2001.
- Chao KSC, Kaplan C, Simpson JR, Haughey B, Spector GJ, Sessions DG, Arquette M: Esthesioneuroblastoma: The impact of treatment modality Head and Neck, September, 23:749-757, 2001.
- Huang C, Chao KSC, Tsai J, Simpson JR, Haughey B, Spector GJ, Sessions DG: Cancer of retromolar trigone: Long-term radiation therapy outcome. Head and Neck, 758-763 September, 2001
- Spector JG, Sessions DG, Chao, KSC, Simpson J, El Mofty S, Perez, C: Delayed regional metastases, distant metastases and second primary malignancies in squamous cell carcinomas of the larynx and hypopharynx. Laryngoscope, 111: 1079-1087, June, 2001.
- Yian C, Paniello R, Spector GJ: Inhibition of motor nerve regeneration in a rabbit facial nerve model. (Laryngoscope, in press). Presented at Triological Society Meeting, Chicago, IL, January 2001, Laryngoscope, 111:786-791, May, 2001.
- Haughey BHH, Wilson E, Kluwe, L, Piccirillo J, Fredrickson J, Sessions D, Spector G,: Free flap reconstruction of the head and neck: Analysis of 241 cases. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, New Orleans LA, September 27, 1999, Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, 125:10-17, 2001.