J. Gail Neely, MD, FACS
Professor, Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, Otology, Neurotology, Base of Skull Surgery
Director, Facial Nerve Center
Professor, Occupational Therapy Program
WU Physicians Bio
Surgical treatment of ear and lateral skull base diseases, Diagnostically difficult and complex cases, Advanced clinical teaching, Surgical hearing restoration and tumor resection (Cochlear Implants, Ossicular Reconstruction/Middle Ear Prostheses, Tympanic Membrane Repair, Mastoidectomy, Bone Anchored Hearing Aids, BAHA, Acoustic/Meningioma Tumor Resection, Glomus Jugulare Resection, Facial Nerve Surgery), draining ear, ear and skull base tumors, facial paralysis, facial twitching/spasm, fluid behind ear drum, pediatric otology (any child with hearing loss), progressive or fluctuating hearing loss, uncontrollable vertigo, Meniere's disease
Patients Seen At:
Center for Advanced Medicine
Ear, Nose and Throat Center
4921 Parkview Place, Suite A, Floor 11
St. Louis, MO 63110
Fax: (314) 747-8687
Washington University School of Medicine
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
660 S. Euclid Ave.-Campus Box 8115
St. Louis, MO 63110
- Medical Degree: University of Oklahoma, 1965
- Residency: Otolaryngology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, 1972
- Fellowship: Otology/Neurotology House Ear Clinic/Institute. Los Angeles, California, 1973
- Quantitative Clinical Epidemiology, Yale University School of Medicine, 1993
Licensure and Board Certification
- Listed in Best Doctors in America, 2003-2008 (Best Doctors, Inc.)
- Who's Who in America
- Who's Who in Medicine and Health
- International Who's Who in Medicine
- Teacher of the Year Award, three times
- Distinguished Service Award, American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Program Director, NIH-NIDCD "Development of Clinician/Reseacher in Academic ENT"
- Principal Investigator, NIH-NINDS “Bell’s Palsy – Randomized Clinical Trial”
Selected Journal Articles
- Neely JG, Lisker P, Drapekin J. Importance of the brow in facial expressiveness during human communication. Otology & Neurotology March 2014, volume 35, Issue 3 electronic only pages e97-e103. Doi: 10.1097/MAO.0b013e3182a006cd
- Neely JG, Paniello RC, Graboyes EM, Sharon JD, Grindler DJ, Nussenbaum B. Practical guide to understanding clinical research compliance. Otolarynogolgy-Head and Neck Surgery. March 5, 2014. Published electronically ahead of print DOI: 10.1177/0194599814524895 . Published in print: Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. 2014; 150(5):716-721.
- Neely JG, Graboyes E, Paniello RC, Sequeira SM, Grindler DJ. Practical Guide to Understanding the Need for Clinical Practice Guidelines. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2013 149(1):1-7.
- Neely JG, Sharon JD, Graboyes EM, Paniello RC, Nussenbaum B, Grinder DJ, Dassopoulos T. Practical Guide to Understanding Comparative Effectiveness Research (CER). Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2013 149(6)December:12 - 20. DOI: 10.1177/0194599813506539 Otolaryngology -- Head and Neck Surgery published online 4 October 2013
- Holden LK, Neely JG, Gotter BD, Mispagel KM, Firszt JB. Sequential Bilateral Cochlear Implantation in a Patient with Bilateral Meniere’s Disease. J Am Acad Audiol 2012 April 23(4):256-268.
- Ortmann AJ, Neely JG. Sudden sensorineural hearing loss and delayed complete sudden spontaneous recovery: A case report. J Am Acad Audiol 2012 April 23(4):249-255.
- Peterein JL, Neely JG. Auditory Brainstem Response Testing in Neurodiagnosis - Structure vs. Function: A Case Report. J Am Acad Audiol 2012 April 23(4):269-275.
- Neely JG, Lieu JE, Sequeira SM, Graboyes E, Paniello RC, Nussenbaum B, Grindler DJ, Voelker CC.Practical Guide to Understanding Multivariable Analyses, Part B: Conjunctive Consolidation. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012 Dec 20. [Epub ahead of print] Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012 148(3):359-365
- Neely JG, Paniello RC, Lieu JE, Voelker CC, Grindler DJ, Sequeira SM, Nussenbaum B. Practical Guide to Understanding Multivariable Analyses: Part A. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012 Oct 3. [Epub ahead of print] Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery 2012148(2) 185–190.
- Bradley JP, Hullar TE, Neely JG, Goebel JA. Hyperventilation-induced nystagmus and vertigo after stereotactic radiotherapy for vestibular schwannoma..Otol Neurotol. 2011 Oct;32(8):1336-1338.
- Neely JG, Cherian NG, Dickerson CB, Nedzelski JM. Sunnybrook facial grading system: reliability and criteria for grading. Laryngoscope 2010 May;120(5):1038-1045.
- Neely JG, Wang KX, Shapland CA, Sehizadeh A, Wang A. Computerized objective measurement of facial motion: normal variation and test-retest reliability. Otol Neurotol. 2010 Dec;31(9):1488-1492.
- Finley CC, Holden TA, Holden LK, Whiting BR, Chole RA, Neely JG, Hullar TE, Skinner MW. Role of electrode placement as a contributor to variability in cochlear implant outcomes. Otol Neurotol. 2008 Jul 28. [Epub ahead of print] Otol Neurotol 2008 October; 29(7):920-928.
- Neely JG. Chapter 16: Central Causes of Facial Paralysis. In: Slattery WH and Azizzadeh B Eds. The Facial Nerve. New York: Thieme Medical Publishers 2014:129-136
- Shin JJ, Neely JG. Topical antibiotic versus combined topical and systemic antibiotic therapy for chronic active otitis media without cholesteatoma: Impact on resolution of otorrhea. Chapter 12C Chronic Otitis Media. In Shin JJ, Hartnick CJ, Randolph GW. Evidence-based Otolaryngology. New York: Springer Science+Business Media, 2008:255-258
- Shin JJ, Neely JG. Topical antibiotic versus placebo or antiseptic alone for chronic active otitis media without cholesteatoma: Impact on resolution of otorrhea. Chapter 12A Chronic Otitis Media. In Shin JJ, Hartnick CJ, Randolph GW. Evidence-based Otolaryngology. New York: Springer Science+Business Media, 2008:239-249
- Shin JJ, Neely JG. Topical antibiotic versus systemic antibiotic therapy for chronic active otitis media without cholesteatoma: Impact on resolution of otorrhea. Chapter 12B Chronic Otitis Media. In Shin JJ, Hartnick CJ, Randolph GW. Evidence-based Otolaryngology. New York: Springer Science+Business Media, 2008:250-254