Carla Valenzuela, MD
Hometown: Nashville, TN
Personal Statement: I chose Wash U because it stood out to me as a place that would challenge me academically in all aspects of medicine, surgery, and research. The environment at Wash U is unparalleled in terms of opportunities to grow in research, contribute to the strong sense of camaraderie among the residents and faculty, and learn from a diverse patient population. I am interested in combining my research interests in molecular pathophysiology with clinical outcome studies. Outside of the hospital, I love running the trails at Forest Park, hanging out with my co-residents, and exploring St. Louis.
Undergraduate: University of Maryland Baltimore County, BS, summa cum laude, Biological Sciences, 2010
Medical School: Vanderbilt School of Medicine, 2015
- BOG Governor, Section for Residents and Fellows, AAO-HNS, 2016
- BOG Legislative Affairs Representative, Section for Residents and Fellows, AAO-HNS, 2015
- David L. Zealear Ph.D. Otolaryngology Scholar–Initiative Award, Vanderbilt School of Medicine, 2015
- National Chair, Association of Women Surgeons Medical Student Committee, 2014
- Sharpest Scalpel Teaching Award, Vanderbilt School of Medicine, 2014
- NIH-NIDCD Research Supplement Grant to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research, 2013
- Cornelius Vanderbilt Scholarship, Vanderbilt School of Medicine, 2010
- Goldwater Scholar, Barry M. Goldwater Foundation, United States Congress, 2008
- Meyerhoff Scholar, University of Maryland Baltimore County, 2006
Novaleski CK, Kojima T, Chang S, Luo H, Valenzuela CV, Rousseau B. Nonstimulated rabbit phonation model: Cricothyroid approximation. Laryngoscope. 2016 Jul;126(7):1589-94. PMID: 26971861
Valenzuela CV, Newbill CP, Johnston C, Meyer TK. Proliferative laryngitis with airway obstruction in an adult: Consider herpes. Laryngoscope. 2016 Apr;126(4):945-8. PMID: 26297873
Sweeney AD, Osetinsky LM, Carlson ML, Valenzuela CV, Frisch CD, Netterville JL, Link MJ, Driscoll CL, Haynes DS. The Natural History and Management of Petrous Apex Cholesterol Granulomas. Otol Neurotol. 2015 Dec;36(10):1714-9. PMID: 26427636
Sweeney AD, Carlson ML, Valenzuela CV, Wanna GB, Rivas A, Bennett ML, Haynes DS. 228 Cases of cochlear implant receiver-stimulator placement in a tight subperiosteal pocket without fixation. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015 Apr;152(4):712-7. PMID: 25605691.
Valenzuela CV, Kipp A, Ugarte C, Paz J, Echevarria J, Gotuzzo E. HIV stigma as a barrier to receiving HIV care at a general hospital in Lima, Peru: A case-control study. AIDS Behav. 2015 Feb;19(2):235-45. PMID: 25269871.
Kojima T, Valenzuela CV, Novaleski CK, Van Deusen M, Mitchell JR, Garrett CG, Sivasankar MP, Rousseau B. Effects of phonation time and magnitude dose on vocal fold epithelial genes, barrier integrity, and function. Laryngoscope. 2014 Dec;124(12):2770-8. PMID: 25073715.
Nugent BM, Valenzuela CV, Simons TJ, McCarthy MM. Kinases SPAK and OSR1 are upregulated by estradiol and activate NKCC1 in the developing hypothalamus. J. Neurosci. 2012;32(2):593–598. PMID: 22238094.