Paul Zolkind, MD
Hometown: Sleepy Hollow, NY
Personal Statement: I chose WashU because of its extraordinary surgical training, research opportunities, and close knit community. My clinical interests are in head and neck cancer and endoscopic sinus and skull base surgery. My research is in combining genomics-based immunotherapies with advanced surgical techniques for patients with head and neck cancer. Outside the hospital, I love playing basketball, running with my dog, biking, and pretty much anything outdoors.
Undergraduate: Northwestern University, BA, 2009
Medical School: SUNY Downstate College of Medicine, 2013
- 2018 Recipient of Washington University Department of Otolaryngology Michael Paparella Basic Science Research Award, 1st Place. “Immunotherapy in Head and Neck Cancer”
- 2017 AACR Scholar-in-Training Award. “Genomic and functional correlates from a phase II clinical trial of trametinib in surgically resectable oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma.” AACR-AHNS Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA
- 2017 Recipient of Washington University Department of Otolaryngology Michael Paparella Basic Science Research Award, 2nd Place. “Neoadjuvant pembrolizumab in surgically resectable, HPV negative locally advanced head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC)”
- 2016-2017 Recipient of AHNS Alando J. Ballantyne Resident Research Pilot Grant. “Preclinical Model for a Genomics-Driven Personalized Vaccine in Oral Cavity Cancer.” Washington University School of Medicine.
- 2016 Recipient of Washington University Department of Otolaryngology Michael Paparella Basic Science Research Award, 1st Place. “Targets of Checkpoint Blockade in a Mouse Model of Oral Cavity Squamous Cell Carcinoma”
- 2016 Washington University School of Medicine R25 Cancer Genomics and Outcomes Research STRENGTH Program Scholarship
Katie M. Campbell, K., Tianxiang Lin, T., Zolkind, P., Barnell, E., Skidmore, Z., Winkler, A., Law, J., Mardis, E., Wartman, L., Adkins, D., Chernock, R., Griffith, M., Uppaluri, R., & Griffith, O. (2018) Oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma xenografts retain complex genotypes and intertumor molecular heterogeneity. Cell Reports (in press).
Zolkind, P., Przybylskim D., Marjanovic, N., Nguyen, L., Lin, T., Johanns, T., Alexandrov, A., Zhou, L., Allen, C., Miceli, A., Schreiber, R., Artyomov, M., Dunn, G., & Uppaluri, R (2018). Cancer immunogenomic approach to neoantigen discovery in a checkpoint blockade responsive murine model of oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma. Oncotarget 9(3), 4109.
Zolkind, P., Dunn, G. P., Lin, T., Griffith, M., Griffith, O. L., & Uppaluri, R. (2017). Neoantigens in immunotherapy and personalized vaccines: Implications for head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Oral oncology, 71, 169-176.
Zolkind, P., & Uppaluri, R. (2017). Checkpoint immunotherapy in head and neck cancers. Cancer and Metastasis Reviews, 36(3), 475-489.
Hanna, G. J., Adkins, D. R., Zolkind, P., & Uppaluri, R. (2017). Rationale for neoadjuvant immunotherapy in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Oral oncology, 73, 65-69.
Zolkind, P., Non, L., Chernock, R., & Ghogomu, N. (2016). Unusual Cause of Stridor in an 80-Year-old Man. The American journal of medicine, 129(2), e15-e16.
Uppaluri, R., Winkler, A. E., Lin, T., Law, J. H., Haughey, B. H., Nussenbaum, B., Paniello, R., Rich, J., Diaz, J., Michel, L., Wildes, T., Dunn, G., Zolkind, P., et. al. (2017). Biomarker and Tumor Responses of Oral Cavity Squamous Cell Carcinoma to Trametinib: A Phase II Neoadjuvant Window-of-Opportunity Clinical Trial. Clinical Cancer Research, 23(9), 2186-2194.
Davitt K, Babcock BD, Fenelus M, Poon CK, Sarkar A, Trivigno V, Zolkind PA, Matthew SM, Grin'kina N, Orynbayeva Z, Shaikh MF, Adler V, Michl J, Sarafraz-Yazdi E, Pincus MR, Bowne WB. “The anti-cancer peptide, PNC-27, induces tumor cell necrosis of a poorly differentiated non-solid tissue human leukemia cell line that depends on expression of HDM-2 in the plasma membrane of these cells.” Ann Clin Lab Sci. 2014 Summer;44(3):241-8.
Zolkind, Paul, Gavin P. Dunn, Tianxiang Lin, Malachi Griffith, Obi L. Griffith, and Ravindra Uppaluri. "Neoantigens in immunotherapy and personalized vaccines: Implications for head and neck squamous cell carcinoma." Oral Oncology (2016).
Uppaluri, Ravindra, Ashley Winkler, Tianxiang Lin, Jonathan Law, Bruce Haughey, Brian Nussenbaum, Randal Paniello, Jason Rich, Jason Diaz, Loren Michel, Tanya Wildes, Gavin Dunn, Dorina Kallogjeri, Paul Zolkind et al. "Biomarker and clinical response of oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma to the MEK 1/2 inhibitor trametinib: A phase II neoadjuvant window of opportunity clinical trial." Clinical Cancer Research (2016).
Zolkind, Paul, Lemuel Non, Rebecca Chernock, and Nsangou Ghogomu. "An Unusual Cause of Stridor in an 80-year-old Man." The American journal of medicine (2015).
Davitt, Katlin, Blake D. Babcock, Maly Fenelus, Chi Kong Poon, Abhishek Sarkar, Vincent Trivigno, Paul A. Zolkind et al. "The Anti-Cancer Peptide, PNC-27, Induces Tumor Cell Necrosis of a Poorly Differentiated Non-Solid Tissue Human Leukemia Cell Line that Depends on Expression of HDM-2 in the Plasma Membrane of these Cells." Annals of Clinical & Laboratory Science 44, no. 3 (2014): 241-248.