Katherine Chang, MD
MD: University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
"I was floored by the mad karaoke skills of my fellow residents and attendings at our last chief resident graduation dinner."
Hometown: Sylvania, OH
Personal Statement: I remember being extremely excited when I was invited for an interview to WUSTL as I had heard great things from my mentors about the excellence of this program. On my interview day, I felt the faculty were genuinely interested in me as a person in addition to my academic and research accomplishments. From talking to the faculty and residents, I knew that this program would push me to be the best I could be while providing a supportive environment to grow. I truly felt that this program offered the strongest surgical training and research opportunities of all the places I interviewed. St. Louis is also an extremely charming city with a lot of character and a vibrant art scene! I love cooking, exploring new breweries, traveling, and binging Netflix/HBO shows. I also love dogs, dog parks, dog beaches, and dog sitting.
Undergraduate: The Ohio State University
Medical School: University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
- Physician in Society Learning Community Poster Winner 2015
- Triological Society Combined Sections Meeting Travel Award 2018
- Pelotonia Research Fellowship Recipient 2013-2014
- Graduated Honors with Research Distinction and Magna Cum Laude 2014
- Chang KW, Mazul AL, Lander DP, Wahle BM, Yan EZ, Thorstad WL, Puram SV, Jackson RS, Rich JT, Pipkorn P, Paniello RC, Zolkind PA, Olshan AF, Zevallos JP. Poor dental health as a risk factor for alveolar ridge malignancies. Accepted for publication in Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg.
- Chang KW, Zhong LM, Lee DS, Puram SV, Jackson RS, Yaeger LH, Pipkorn P. Outcomes of mesh cranioplasty in scalp free tissue reconstruction: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2023 January; doi.org/10.1002/ohn.199.
- Chang KW, Akakpo KE, Graboyes EM, Zenga J, Puram SV, Pipkorn P. Free tissue reconstruction in the “vessel-depleted” neck: a multi-institutional cohort study. Microsurgery. 2022 October; doi: 10.1002/micr.30978. PMID: 36285983.
- Chang KW, Piccirillo J. Questionnaires for OSA; Internal Consensus Statement on Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2022 September; doi: 10.1002/alr.23079. PMID: 36068685.
- Chang K, Kallogjeri D, Piccirillo J, House SL, Turner J, Schneider J, Farrell NF. Nasal inflammatory profile in patients with COVID-19 olfactory dysfunction. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 2022 July; 12(7): 952-954. PMID: 34890110.
- Tang AL, Aunins B, Chang K, Wang JC, Hagan M, Jian L, Lee CY, Randle RW, Houlton JJ, Sloan D, Steward DL. A multi-institutional study evaluating and describing atypical parathyroid adenomas discovered after parathyroidectomy. Laryngoscope Investig Otolaryngol. 2022 May; 7(3): 901-905. PMID: 35734061.
- Chang K, Bollig C, Sclaroff A, Pipkorn P. Free Tissue Transfer in a Patient with Hemoglobin S-Beta-Thalassemia Disease and Mandibular Osteomyelitis. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2022 January; 166(1): 186-187. PMID: 33752540.
- Sarber KM, Epperson MV, Chang KW, Ishman SL, Dhanda Patil R. Hypoglossal nerve stimulation in veterans with obstructive sleep apnea. Submitted to the Laryngoscope.
- Sarber KM, Chang KW, Ishman SL, Epperson MV, Dhanda Patil R. Hypoglossal nerve stimulator outcomes for patients outside the U.S. FDA recommendations. Laryngoscope. 2019 July 10. doi: 10.1002/lary.28175.
- Bergeron M, Chang K, Ishman SL. Cornelia de lange manifestations in otolaryngology: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Laryngoscope. 2019 July 13. doi: 10.1002/lary.28169.
- Chang KW, Steward DL, Tabangin ME, Altaye M, Patil RD. Clinical use of the STOP-BANG screening tool to determine postoperative risk for adverse events in veterans undergoing surgery. Laryngoscope. 2019 Jan;129(1):259-264.
- Ishman SL, Chang KW, Kennedy AA. Techniques for evaluation and management of tongue-base obstruction in pediatric obstructive sleep apnea. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2018 Dec; 26(6): 409-4016.