Richard A. Chole, MD, PhD
Professor, Past Chair
Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery
Patients seen at
Ear, Nose and Throat Center
Center for Advanced Medicine
4921 Parkview Place, Suite A, Floor 11
St. Louis, MO 63110
Fax: (314) 747-5592
St. Louis Children’s Hospital
1 Children’s Place, Third Floor
St. Louis, MO 63110
Fax: (314) 454-2174
Washington University School of Medicine
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
660 S. Euclid Ave.-Campus Box 8115
St. Louis, MO 63110
Dr. Chole’s clinical interests include otology, neurotology, reconstruction of the middle ear, petrous apicitis, otosclerosis, cholesteatoma, Meniere’s disease, cochlear implants and bone anchored hearing aids. His research interests include the role of bacterial biofilms in otolaryngologic disease and bone remodeling in cholesteatoma.
- Zoology, University of California, Berkeley, California, 1965
- Medical Degree: University Of Southern California, 1969
- Fellowship: Surgery, University of Minnesota School of Medicine, 1973
- Fellowship: Otolaryngology, University of Minnesota School of Medicine, 1977
- Ph.D.: Otolaryngology, Anatomy, Biochemistry, University of Minnesota, 1977
- Sabbatical: Transmission Electron Microscopy, University of Minnesota, 1981
Licensure and board certification
- First Place Award for Basic Research in Otolaryngology, American Academy of Ophthalmology and Otolaryngology, 1977
- Honors Award for Educational Contributions, American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 1984
- American Otological Society membership, 1984 (U.S. membership, 130) Received AOS Award of Merit for leadership in research, education and the American Board of Otolaryngology, 2007
- UCDMC Care Recognition Awards -4/5/88, 6/2/88, 7/20/88, 11/17/88, 11/18/88, 11/19/88, 3/22/89, 3/23/89, 3/31/89, 5/6/91, 6/30/91, 5/19/94
- Elected to membership in the Collegium Oto-rhino-laryngologicum Amicitiae Sacrum (ORLAS) September 1991, an international organization of research otolaryngologists, estab. 1926, The Netherlands: worldwide membership-over 300 from 50 countries; 20 members from U.S.
- Keynote speaker at the 92nd Japan Oto-Rhino-Laryngological Society meeting, Fukuoka-City, Japan, May 17, 1991
- UC Davis School of Medicine Research Award, 1992-93
- Keynote speaker at the Dr. S.G. Joshi Memorial Oration of the Association of
- Otolaryngologists of India, Udaipur, India, January 10, 1997
- Elected to Board of Directors of the American Board of Otolaryngology, 2000
- Elected to Advisory Council of the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD), March 2001-2005
- Elected to Board of Scientific Counselors, NIH 2005
- Elected, Barnes-Jewish Hospital Board of Directors, 2005
- American Otological Society Guest of Honor, 2006
- Award of Merit from the American Otological Society, 2007
- House Lecturer American Neurotology Society, 2008
- Distinguished Service Award from the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Foundation, 2008
- Presidential Citation from the American Otological Society, 2013
- Listed in Best Doctors in America, 2003 – 2012 (Best Doctors, Inc.)
- Zhuang L, Jung JY, Wang EW, Houlihan P, Ramos L, Pashia M, Chole RA. Pseudomonas aeruginosa Lipopolysaccharide Induces Osteoclastogenesis Through a Toll-Like Receptor 4 Mediated Pathway in Vitro and in Vivo, Laryngoscope, 117:841-847, May, 2007.
- Wang EW, Jung JY, Pashia-Basse ME, Nason R, Scholnick SB, Chole RA. Otopathogenic Pseudomonas aeruginosa as competent biofilm formers. Archives of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, 131:983-989, November, 2005.
- Jung JY, Pashia ME, Nishimoto SY, Faddis BT, Chole RA. A possible role for nitric oxide in cholesteatoma induced bone resorption. Otology & Neurotology, 24(5): 661-668, September, 2004.
- Chole RA, Faddis, BT. Anatomic evidence of microbial biofilms in tonsillar tissues – A possible mechanism to explain chronicity. Archives of Otolaryngology, 129: 634-636, June, 2003.
- Young N, Chole RA. The Retraction Pocket Cholesteatoma, Current Opinions in Otolaryngology, 10:5; 355-359, October, 2002.
- Chole RA, Faddis BT. Evidence for microbial biofilms in cholesteatomas. Archives of Otolaryngology, 128(1):1129-033, October, 2002.
- Chole RA, McKenna M. Pathophysiology of otosclerosis. Otol Neurotol 2001 Mar; 22(2):249-57.
- Chole RA, Faddis BT, Chamberlain S, Magilke D. Invasiveness of fibroblasts from experimental cholesteatomas. Otol Neurotol 2001 Jan; 22(1):15-7.
- Chole RA, Tinling SP. Adaptive bone modeling in the middle ear is substance-p dependent. Am J of Otology, 19(4):521-524, July, 1998.
- Chole RA. The molecular biology of bone resorption due to chronic otitis media. Ann NY Acad Sci. 830:95-109, December 29,1997.
- Rohrer PS, Chole RA. Unusual lesions of the internal auditory canal. The American Journal of Otology, 17(1): 143-149, January, 1996.
- Chole RA. Chronic otitis and cholesteatoma. Current Opinion in Otolaryngology & Head and Neck Surgery 1:19-23, 1993