Our mission to Improve Patients’ Lives by Leading our Advancing Field starts with training the next generation of leaders. Preparing residents for leadership in otolaryngology is a journey we cherish here.
From the days of our own former Department Chair Joseph H. Ogura, MD, more than 15 Washington University/Barnes-Jewish Hospital Residency Program graduates have gone on to lead other departments around the world. Many more fill important leadership positions within academics as well as in the community. Importantly, our program develops leaders across the breadth of our field.
Here are just a few examples of our graduates who have become leaders in the field:
- Marvin P. Fried (‘75), MD, Chair, Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Eric M. Genden (’98), MD, MHCA, FACS, Otolaryngology System Chair at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- Judith E.C. Lieu (’98), MD, MPHS, Professor and Director of Residency Education Pogram, Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, Washington University
- Ellis M. Arjmand (’93), MD, PhD, Surgeon-in-Chief, Children’s Hospital of New Orleans
- Ravindra Uppaluri (’00), MD, PhD, FACS, Chief, Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Director, Head and Neck Surgical Oncology at Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- Joseph Paydarfar (’01), MD, Associate Professor of Surgery-Otolaryngology; Adjunct Associate Professor of Engineering; Chief, Section of Otolaryngology, Audiology, Maxillofacial Surgery at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
- Urjeet A. Patel (‘02), MD, Associate Professor Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University; Chairman, Division of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck, Cook County Health and Hospitals System
- John B. Sunwoo (’03), MD, Director of Head and Neck Cancer Research, Stanford University
- Allison Ogden (’07), MD, FACS, Associate Professor and Vice Chair for Clinical Operations, Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, Washington University
We love to hear from all of our alums. Please contact us, update your information, or set up a visit, by contacting us at ENTresidency@wustl.edu.