David W. Molter, MD
Professor of Otolaryngology—Head & Neck Surgery
Castle Connolly Top Doctor
Patients seen at
St. Louis Children’s Hospital
1 Children’s Place, Third Floor
St. Louis, MO 63110
Fax: (314) 454-2174
Children’s Specialty Care Center
13001 North Outer Forty
Town & Country, MO 63017
Floor 2, Suite D
Washington University School of Medicine
Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
660 S. Euclid Avenue, Campus Box 8115
St. Louis, MO 63110
Dr. Molter’s clinical interests include pediatric otolaryngology, airway evaluation and reconstruction, cleft and craniofacial concerns, pediatric sleep apnea, ear concerns, cholesteatoma, primary ciliary dyskinesia and juvenile laryngeal papilloma.
Dr. Molter is a mentor for Pediatric Otolaryngology fellows as they develop their skills and competency in the operating room. Dr. Molter ensures that appropriate progress is being made in skill acquisition, advising the fellow on what aspects may need strengthening. Dr. Molter also tracks the number of procedures performed with or by the fellow to ensure he/she gains adequate experience.
- B.S.E.: Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, 1980
- Medical Degree: Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, 1988
- Residency: General and Thoracic Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, 1990
- Fellowship: Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, 1991
- Sr. Asst. Resident: Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, 1993
- Chief Resident: Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina, 1994
- Fellowship: Pediatric Otolaryngology & Maxillofacial Surgery, Children’s Hosp. Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1995
Licensure and board certification
- Clinical Informatics–Certified
- Listed in Best Doctors in America 2007-2016 (Best Doctors, Inc)
- Honor Award – American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery– 2006
- Resident Teaching Award – Washington University School of Medicine, Department of Otolaryngology –2004
- Distinguished Clinician Award – Washington University School of Medicine – 2016
- Nykiel-Bailey SM, McAllister JD, Schrock CR, Molter DW, Marsh JK, Murray DJ. Difficult airway consultation service for children: steps to implement and preliminary results. Pediatr Anesth [Internet]. 2015;25(4):363–71
- Faro A, Wood RE, Schechter MS, Leong AB, Wittkugel E, Abode K, et al. Official American Thoracic Society Technical Standards: Flexible Airway Endoscopy in Children. Am J Respir Crit Care Med [Internet]. 2015;191(9):1066–80.
- M a, Marty-Grames L, Blount-Stahl M, Saltzman BS, Molter DW, Woo AS. The Furlow Palatoplasty for Velopharyngeal Dysfunction: Velopharyngeal Changes, Speech Improvements, and Where They Intersect. Cleft Palate Craniofac J [Internet]. 2015;52(1):12–22.
- Coverstone AM, Bird M, Sicard M, Tao Y, Grange D, Cleveland C, et al. Overnight Pulse Oximetry for Evaluation of Sleep Apnea among Children with Trisomy 21. J Clin sleep mediicine. 2014;10(12):1309–15.
- Keilmann A, Nakarat T, Bruce I a, Molter D, Malm G. Hearing loss in patients with mucopolysaccharidosis II: Data from HOS – the Hunter Outcome Survey. J Inherit Metab Dis [Internet]. 2012 Mar [cited 2012 Feb 20];35(2):343–53.
- AB, Grames LM, Molter D, Govier D, Kane A a, Woo AS. Videofluoroscopic and nasendoscopic correlates of speech in velopharyngeal dysfunction. Cleft Palate Craniofac J [Internet]. 2011 Sep [cited 2014 May 12];48(5):550–60.
- Al-Samkari HT, Kane A a, Molter DW, Vachharajani A. Neonatal outcomes of Pierre Robin sequence: an institutional experience. Clin Pediatr (Phila) [Internet]. 2010 Dec [cited 2011 Jan 15];49(12):1117–22.
- Lie H, Zariwala M a, Helms C, Bowcock AM, Carson JL, Brown DE, et al. Primary Ciliary Dyskinesia in Amish Communities. J Pediatr [Internet]. Mosby, Inc.; 2010 Mar;156(6):1023–5.
- Dalal PG, Murray D, Messner AH, Feng A, McAllister J, Molter D. Pediatric laryngeal dimensions: an age-based analysis. Anesth Analg [Internet]. 2009 May [cited 2011 Feb 18];108(5):1475–9.
- Muenzer J, Beck M, Eng CM, Escolar ML, Giugliani R, Guffon NH, et al. Multidisciplinary management of Hunter syndrome. Pediatrics [Internet]. 2009 Dec [cited 2010 Nov 22];124(6):e1228–39.