Emma Watson, MD, PhD
MD: Baylor College of Medicine
Hometown: Bangor, Northern Ireland
Personal Statement: I am ecstatic to match into otolaryngology at Washington University in St. Louis, and I am honored to be able to train at a place with both surgical and research excellence. I look forward to working hard with supportive co-residents and faculty, learning all I can, and taking care of patients as I continue on my path to become a surgeon-scientist!
Undergraduate: University of Kansas, Lawrence, 2013
PhD: Rice University, Houston, TX, 2020
Medical School: Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 2021
- Richard R. Dickason, Jr., MD, PhD, Outstanding Physician Scientist Award for 2021–2022, Baylor College of Medicine
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award, 2017-2020
- Frank Kretzer Award for Excellence in Basic Sciences, Baylor College of Medicine
- Outstanding Senior in Chemical Engineering, University of Kansas, 2013
- E. Watson, A.M. Tatara, D.P. Kontoyiannis, and A.G. Mikos, “Inherently Antimicrobial Biodegradable Polymers for Tissue Engineering,” ACS Biomaterials Science and Engineering. 2016;3(7): 1207-20.
- L.G. Bracaglia, B.T. Smith, E. Watson, N. Arumugasaamy, J.P. Fisher, and A.G. Mikos, “Design and Fabrication of Gradient Scaffolds,” Acta Biomaterialia. 2017; 56: 3-13.
- A.M. Tatara*, E. Watson*, T. Satish, D.W. Scott, D.P. Kontoyiannis, P.S. Engel, and A.G. Mikos, “Synthesis and Characterization of Diol-based Unsaturated Polyesters: Poly(Diol Fumarate) and Poly(Diol Fumarate-co-Succinate),” Biomacromolecules. 2017; 18(6): 1724-35.
- A.M. Tatara, A.J. Rozich, P.D. Kontoyiannis, E. Watson, N.D. Albert, G.N. Bennett, and A.G. Mikos, “Econazole-Releasing Porous Space Maintainers for Fungal Periprosthetic Joint Infection,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine. 2018; 29(5), 70.
- B.T. Smith, A. Lu, E. Watson, M. Santoro, A.J. Melchiorri, E.C. Grosfeld, J.J.J.P. van den Beucken, J.A. Jansen, D.W. Scott, J.P. Fisher, and A.G. Mikos, “Incorporation of Fast Dissolving Glucose Porogens and Poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid) Microparticles into an Injectable Calcium Phosphate Cement for Bone Tissue Regeneration,” Acta Biomaterialia. 2018; 78, 341-350.
- M. Senturk, G. Lin, D. Mao, Z. Zuo, E. Watson, and A.G. Mikos, and H.J. Bellen, “Ubiquilins Regulate Autophagic Flux through mTOR Signaling and Lysosomal Acidification,” Nature Cell Biology. 2019; 21(3), 384-96.
- A.M. Tatara, G.L. Koons, E. Watson, T.C. Piepergerdes, S.R. Shah, B.T. Smith, J. Shum, J. Melville, I. Hanna, N. Demian, T. Ho, A. Ratcliffe, J.J.J.P. van den Beucken, J.A. Jansen, M.E. Wong, and A.G. Mikos, “Biomaterials-aided Mandibular Reconstruction Using In Vivo Bioreactors.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Science. 2019; 116(14), 6954-63.
- A.M. Tatara, E. Watson, N.D. Albert, P.D. Kontoyiannis, and A.G. Mikos, and D.P. Kontoyiannis, “A Murine Model of Cutaneous Aspergillosis for Evaluation of Biomaterial-Based Local Delivery Therapies,” Journal of Biomaterials Research Part A. 2019; 107(9), 1867-74.
- M.M. Smoak, A. Han, E. Watson, A. Kishan, K.J. Grande-Allen, E. Cosgriff-Hernandez, and A.G. Mikos, “Fabrication and Characterization of Electrospun Decellularized Muscle-Derived Scaffolds,” Tissue Engineering Part C: Methods. 2019; 25(5), 276-87.
- J.L. Guo, Y.S. Kim, V.Y. Xie, B.T. Smith, E. Watson, J. Lam, H.A. Pearce, P.S. Engel, and A.G. Mikos, “Modular, tissue-specific, and biodegradable hydrogel cross-linkers for tissue engineering,” Science Advances. 2019; 5(6).
- B.T. Smith*, S.M. Bittner*, E. Watson, M.M. Smoak, L. Diaz-Gomez, E.R. Molina, Y.S. Kim, C.D. Hudgins, A.J. Melchiorri, D.W. Scott, K.J. Grande-Allen, J. Yoo, A. Atala, J.P. Fisher, and A.G. Mikos, “Multi-Material 3D Printing with Architectural and Compositional Gradients for Directed Osteogenic Differentiation and Spatial Segregation,” Tissue Engineering Part A. 2020; 26(5-6), 239-52.
- J.L. Guo, A. Li, Y.S. Kim, V.Y. Xie, B.T. Smith, E. Watson, G. Bao, and A.G. Mikos, “Click Functionalized, Tissue-Specific Hydrogels for Osteochondral Tissue Engineering,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A. 2020; 108A, 684-93.
- E. Watson, B.T. Smith, M.M. Smoak, A.M. Tatara, S.R. Shah, H.A. Pearce, K.J. Hogan, J. Shum, J.C. Melville, I.A. Hanna, N. Demian, J.C. Wenke, G.N. Bennett, J.J.J.P. van den Beucken, J.A. Jansen, M.E. Wong, and A.G. Mikos, “Localized mandibular infection affects remote in vivo bioreactor bone generation,” Biomaterials. 2020; 256, 120185.
- E. Watson, A.M. Tatara, J.J.J.P. van den Beucken, J.A. Jansen, M.E. Wong, and A.G. Mikos, “An Ovine Model of In Vivo Bioreactor-Based Bone Generation,” Tissue Engineering Part C: Methods. 2020; 26, 384–396.
- H.A. Pearce, Y. Kim, E. Watson, K. Bahrami, M.M. Smoak, E.Y. Jiang, M. Elder, T. Shannon, and A.G. Mikos, “Development of a modular, biocompatible thiolated gelatin microparticle platform for drug delivery and tissue engineering applications,” Regenerative Biomaterials. 2021; rbab012.17.
- Y.S. Kim, S. Mehta, J.L. Guo, H.A. Pearce, B.T. Smith, E. Watson, G.L. Koons, A.M. Navara, J. Lam, K.J. Grande-Allen, and A.G. Mikos, “An ex vivo cartilage explant model for evaluating tissue integration of injectable, poly(L-Lysine)-loaded hydrogels encapsulated with cocultures of mesenchymal stem cells and articular chondrocytes,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering. 2021; 118(8), 2958-66.
- J.L. Guo*, Y. Kim*, G.L. Koons, J. Lam, S. Barrios, A.M. Navara, V.Y. Xie, E. Watson, B.T. Smith, H.A. Pearce, E.A. Orchard, J.J.J.P van den Beucken, J.A. Jansen, M.E. Wong, and A.G. Mikos, “Bilayered, Peptide Biofunctionalized Hydrogels for In Vivo Osteochondral Tissue Repair,” Acta Biomaterialia. 2021; 128, 120-9.
- B. Melendez, S.R. Shah, Y. Jiang, J. Dottino, E. Watson, H.A. Pearce, M. Borthwick, R.E. Schmandt, Q. Zhang, K. Cupain, J. Celestino, B. Fellman, Y. Yuan, K.H. Lu, A.G. Mikos, and M.S. Yates, “Novel Polymer-Based System for Intrauterine Delivery of Everolimus for Anti-Cancer Applications,” Journal of Controlled Release. 2021; 339, 521-530.