The Department of Otolaryngology at Washington University School of Medicine has added a new expert to its leadership team: pediatric otolaryngologist and Officer of Equity and Inclusion Maithilee Menezes, MD.
“As we set department priorities, including making hiring decisions, we will benefit from her input and focus on cultural humility,” says Craig A. Buchman, MD, head of the department.
With a mission to “improve patients’ lives by leading our advancing field,” Buchman has assembled a diverse leadership team from across the department:
- Debbie Scherr – executive director of business affairs
- Jay Piccirillo, MD – vice-chair for research
- Judith Lieu, MD, MSPH – vice-chair for education
- Allison Ogden, MD – vice-chair for clinical operations
- David Leonard, MBBCh – chief, Pediatric Otolaryngology
- John Schneider, MD – chief, Division of Rhinology
- Jose Zevallos, MD – chief, Division of Head and Neck Surgery
- Maithilee Menezes, MD – officer, diversity, equity and inclusion
The leadership team meets monthly to discuss issues such as strategic planning, clinical expansion, new program development, recruitment, budget issues, staffing, and education and research concerns.
“This strong, diverse leadership team is truly an asset to our department,” says Scherr. “To come together and share different perspectives, vet ideas and strategize for the future is critical to the success of our efforts.”
Read about Menezes’ leadership and the diversity initiative »