Sidharth V. Puram, MD, PhD
Otolaryngology—Head & Neck Surgery
Patients seen at
Ear, Nose & Throat Center
Center for Advanced Medicine
4921 Parkway Place
Suite 11A (11th Floor)
St. Louis, MO 63110
Washington University School of Medicine
Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
660 S. Euclid Ave.-Campus Box 8115
St. Louis, MO 63110
- Fellowship in Head and Neck Surgical Oncology and Microvascular Reconstruction, James Cancer Center, Ohio State University
- Research Fellowship: Massachusetts General / MIT Broad Institute, Boston, MA 2017
- Residency in Otolaryngology, Harvard Combined Program (Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Dana Farber Cancer Institute/Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Beth-Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston Children’s Hospital), Boston, MA, 2018
- MD, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, 2013
- PhD, Biology and Biomedical Science, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, 2011
- BS in Biology and Neuroscience, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA, 2005
Licensure and board certification
- Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery
- Jeffrey P. Harris, MD, PhD Chief Resident Research Award, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary/Harvard Combined Program in Otolaryngology, 2018
- Chief Resident Award for Excellence in Teaching, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary/Harvard Combined Program in Otolaryngology, 2018
- 16th Annual Masters’ Course in Skull Base Surgery Fellow, University of South Florida, 2018
- William W. Montgomery, MD Triologic Society Resident Research Award, Combined Sections Meeting, 2018
- Holly and Jerry Wogan Award for Excellence in Research, Aspen Cancer Conference, 2017
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary Annual Meeting Best Poster Award, 2017
- Richard J. Belluci, MD Triologic Society Resident Research Award, Combined Sections Meeting, 2017
- John J. Conley, MD Triologic Society Resident Research Award, Combined Sections Meeting, 2016
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Resident Research Award, 2015
- New England Otolaryngology Society Resident Research Award, 2015
- Leon Reznick Memorial Prize for Excellence in Research, Harvard Medical School, 2013
- Martha L. Gray Prize for Best Poster, Harvard-MIT Health, Science, and Technology Forum, 2011
- Randolph G. Wei Award for Outstanding Research at the Life Sciences/Engineering Interface, 2004
- Johnson and Johnson Excellence in Biomedical Engineering Research Prize, 2004
- Paul E. Gray Undergraduate Research Award, 2004
- Abt NB*, Puram SV*, Sinha S, Sethi RK, Goyal N, Tjoa T, Yarlagadda B, Emerick KS, Rocco JW, Varvares MA, Lin DT, Deschler DG. “Transfusion in head and neck pedicled flap patients: Practice patterns and a comparative analysis by flap type,” Laryngoscope (In press).
- Puram SV†, Parikh AS, Tirosh I†. “Single cell RNA-sequencing in head and neck cancer highlight a role for a partial epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition,” Molecular and Cellular Oncology (2018). Epub.
- Sethi RK, Panth N, Puram SV, Varvares MA. “Opioid prescription patterns among patients with head and neck cancer,” JAMA Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 144(4):382-383 (2018). PMID: 29522065.
- Abt NB, Sethi RK, Puram SV, Varvares MA. “Preoperative laboratory data predicts complications and surgical site infection in composite head and neck surgical resections,” American Journal of Otolaryngology S0196-0709(17): 31024 (2018). PMID: 29398185.
- Puram SV†, Bhattacharyya N. “Identifying metrics and factors affecting readmission rate following head and neck cancer surgery,” Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery 158(5):860-866 (2018). PMID: 29336226.
- Puram SV*, Tirosh I*, Parikh A*, Patel AP, Yizhak K, Gillespie S, Rodman C, Luo CC, Mroz EA, Emerick KS, Deschler DG, Varvares MA, Mylvaganam R, Rozenblatt-Rosen O, Rocco JW, Faquin WC, Lin DT, Regev A, Bernstein BE. “Single-cell transcriptomic analysis of primary and metastatic tumor ecosystems in head and neck cancer,” Cell 171(7): 1611-1624 (2017). PMID: 29198524.
- Rathi VK, Gadkaree SK, Kozin ED, Naunheim MR, Sethi RK, Puram SV, Gray ST. “US Food and Drug Administration Clearance of Moderate-Risk Otolaryngologic Devices via the 510(k) Process, 1997-2016,” Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery 157(4): 608-617 (2017). PMID: 28786317.
- Barber SR, Kozin ED, Remenschneider AK, Puram SV, Smith M, Cunnane ME, Herrmann BS, Brown MC, Lee DJ. “Auditory brainstem implant array position varies widely among adult and pediatric patients and is associated with perception,” Ear and Hearing 38(6): e343-e351 (2017). PMID: 28700445.
- Abt NB, Xie Y, Puram SV, Richmon JD, Varvares MA. “Frailty Index: Intensive care unit complications in head and neck oncologic regional and free flap reconstruction,” Head and Neck 39(8): 1578-1585 (2017). PMID: 28449296.
- Puram SV, Chow H, Wu CW, Heaton J, Kamani D, Gorti G, Chiang FY, Dionigi G, Barczynski M, Schneider R, Dralle H, Lorenz K, Randolph GW. “Posterior cricoarytenoid muscle electrophysiologic changes measured with a posterior cricoid electrode are predictive of vocal cord paralysis with recurrent laryngeal nerve compressive injury in a canine model,” Laryngoscope 126(12): 2744-2751 (2016). PMID: 27113438.
- Sinha S*, Puram SV*, Sethi RK, Parikh A, Tjoa T, Goyal N, Yarlagadda BB, Varvares MA, Rocco JW, Emerick KS, Lin D, Durand M, Deschler DG. “Perioperative deep vein thrombosis risk stratification: A comparative analysis of free and pedicled flap patients,” Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery 156(1): 118-121 (2016). PMID: 276000631.
- Puram SV*, Barber SR*, Kozin ED, Shah P, Remenschneider AK, Herrmann BS, Duhaime AC, Barker FG, Lee DJ. “Outcomes following pediatric auditory brainstem implant surgery: Early experiences in a North American center,” Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery 155(1): 133-138 (2016). PMID: 27095049.
- Puram SV†, Bhattacharyya N. “Quality indicators for head and neck oncologic surgery: Academic versis nonacademic outcomes,” Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery 155(5): 733-739 (2016). PMID: 27329425.
- Jahani-Asl A, Yin H, Soleimani VD, Takrima H, Luchman AH, Chang NC, Sincennes MC, Puram SV, Ligon KL, Weiss S, Rudnicki MA, Bonni A. “Control of glioblastoma tumorigenesis by feed-forward cytokine signaling,” Nature Neuroscience 19(6): 798-806 (2016). PMID: 27110918.
- Puram SV, Chow H, Wu CW, Heaton J, Kamani D, Gorti G, Chiang FY, Dionigi G, Barczynski M, Schneider R, Dralle H, Lorenz K, Randolph GW. “Vocal cord paralysis predicted by neural monitoring electrophysiologic changes with recurrent laryngeal nerve compressive neuropraxic injury in a canine model,” Head and Neck 38(S1): E1341-E1350 (2016). PMID: 26348472.